Schreiner University Clinic and Wellness Department offers many services directed at education and wellness, as well as to assist students when they are injured or sick. Information regarding health, nutrition, and prevention of illness and disease is presently available throughout the year. Watch for flyers around campus. Interest in additional programs for your group should be brought to the attention of the Schreiner Clinic Provider or the Wellness coordinator.
Information regarding numerous health-related matters is available from the Schreiner Clinic and Wellness coordinator. The Schreiner Clinic waiting area is well stocked with pamphlets relating to all areas of health and wellness. The staff are ready to assist with any needs or questions students may have. Staff members are available to discuss any specific concerns or requests for information. All health records and discussions with the staff or the provider are private and confidential.
Mountaineer Fitness Center #202
2100 Memorial Blvd. CMB 6245
Kerrville, TX 78028-5697
Phone (830) 792-7285
Fax (830) 792-0721
(Does Not Accept Medical Records)
Schreiner Clinic Hours
Spring Break Hours:
9am – 3pm | Clinic and Provider
Regular Clinic Hours:
Monday thur Friday | 8am – 4pm
Monday thru Friday | 8am – 4pm
Walk-in basis or call ahead for appointments
Peterson Urgent Care
1740 Junction Hwy
Kerrville, TX 78028-5697
Peterson Urgent Care Hours
Monday thru Friday from 7am – 7pm
Saturday thru Sunday from 8am –4pm
AFTER HOUR CARE
If needing medical attention after hours, care needs can be directed to your resident hall director, resident assistant, or Security at 830-739-1111. In a life-threatening emergency, call 911 (you may need to dial 9 for an outside line). If not a life-threatening situation, you may call Peterson Medical Associates at 830-258-7762 and ask for the doctor on call or schedule an appointment with the campus nurse during business hours. Emergencies include such life-threatening conditions as:
- Difficulty breathing
- Major injury
- Severe bleeding that won’t stop
- Unconsciousness or drug overdose
- Convulsions that will not stop
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Who can use the Schreiner Clinic?
Students, faculty, staff, dependents, with Schreiner Insurance.
- Who can use the Wellness Department’s Services?
Students, faculty, staff, dependents, and volunteers.
- Are medications available?
There are no charges for over the counter medications dispensed by the nurse. Prescription medications ordered by the provider can be purchased at any local pharmacy.
- What about labs and X-rays?
The nurse can provide strep tests, urinalysis, glucose testing, pregnancy test, mono and flu. Your insurance will be billed for these tests.
- What if I need my own doctor while enrolled at Schreiner University?
Referral to PMA.
- Can I see a doctor on campus?
A licensed provider is available from 8am – 5pm Monday through Friday.
For many students, college life may be the first experience living away from home for an extended period of time. The individual’s usual sources of support are no longer present to facilitate adjustment to the unfamiliar environment.
College will present challenges for everyone. You will be faced with some difficult life decisions, a questioning of values, and a redefining of attachments and commitments, or other problems in living that may interfere with your academic success.
Mental Health services offers you a safe atmosphere where personal, academic, health, or career concerns can be openly discussed and explored with a professionally trained counselor. Our services are confidential, free, and are available to currently enrolled students.
The mental health services goals will be to provide:
- Individual counseling in personal, career development & vocational choices, interpersonal relationships, family, health & social problems
- Group counseling
- Assessment when appropriate
- Crisis intervention, as appropriate and in relationship to other available mental health resources
HOW TO GET HELP
Students can schedule an in person session on campus through our Director of Counseling, Kim Woods, by visiting our SU Mental Health Scheduling Page.
Counseling Center Location and Hours
AC Schreiner first floor suite 116 – Campus Map
Monday – Friday 8 am – 5pm
Virtual 24/7 Help
Students can seek assistance through BHS, our student assistance program (SAP). which is available 24-hours a day, 7-days a week. You can contact BHS by calling 800-327-2251 where you will be immediately connected to a BHS “Care Coordinator,” a masters-level clinician, ready to assist you. The Care Coordinator will listen to you, assist with any emergencies, assess the problem, and connect you to the appropriate resources. The Care Coordinator then becomes your personal point of contact and will keep in touch to ensure you are satisfied with all services provided.
Additional SAP benefits include:
- Short-term face-to-face or telephonic counseling services (12 sessions per year)
- Web-based university portal
- Online resource library with online trainings, articles and more
- Unlimited, toll-free, telephonic consultation
- Access to a panel of SAP professionals nationwide
- 24/7, 365 day a year access to SAP services
- Childcare and eldercare referrals and online locators
- Legal and Financial consultations
BHS has a web portal to help organize your visits.
To access the portal, go to: https://portal.bhsonline.com/ (ID: MOUNTAINEERS).
If your situation is a crisis or emergency please contact Campus Security at (830) 739-1111 or dial 911
HEALTH INSURANCE REQUIREMENT
All Schreiner students are REQUIRED to be covered under a health care plan.
Nursing students are REQUIRED to be insured under a health care plan and must provide proof to the nursing program administration.
- Please provide the Administrative Specialist of Student Services with a copy of the front and back of your health insurance card.
- Please call Health Records at 830-792-7278 for any assistance required.