Students presently pursuing a baccalaureate degree at Schreiner University may also pursue teacher certification in the education field. A career in education leads to a lifetime of helping others to fulfill their potential for success in life and career. It progresses from visionary classroom instruction to possible administrative work as an educational leader, an assistant principal or principal, a curriculum specialist, and much more.
Preparation for certification to teach in the public schools of Texas is offered through majors in Biology (life science), Chemistry, English (language arts), History and Mathematics for grades 7-12; in English Language Arts and Reading, Mathematics, Mathematics/Science and Core Subjects for grades 4-8; Core Subjects in grades EC-6 and in Communication Design, Exercise Science and Music for all-level.
In today’s economy, Schreiner University education students have an edge on the competition in several ways:
- Our program places students in the classroom early through service learning classes, and they take on the role of teacher under the guidance of an experienced mentor.
- Elementary education specialists receive a TEA-recommended 18 hours in reading/literacy instruction. Secondary education specialists focus on college and career readiness standards and research- based strategies for creating a challenging and motivating learning environment.
- Schreiner students have the opportunity to graduate with a 100% Online Master of Education degree by adding just 3 semesters through our innovative Fifth Year Distinguished Educator Program.
- Schreiner students are encouraged and assisted in applying for supplementary certifications such as ESL, Bi-Lingual, or Special Education to add to their list of qualifications as a “highly qualified” teacher.
Schreiner University Professions in Education offers state recommendations in the following certification areas:
- Early Childhood through 6th grade, Core Subjects
- Grades 4-8- Core Subjects, English Language Arts and Reading, Mathematics, Mathematics and Science
- Grades 7-12- English Language Arts and Reading, History, Life Science, Chemistry, or Mathematics
- All-Level- Music and Exercise Science and Art