Schreiner University’s four year Bachelor of Science in nursing program is committed to advancing the nursing profession through the holistic educational preparation of health professionals. The program consists of two years of prerequisite courses, followed by a second competitive application process and two years of upper level nursing courses and hands on clinical training. The program is approved by the Texas Board of Nursing and accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
“For the 17th year in a row, the public rated nursing as the most honest and ethical profession in America, with an 84 percent rating of high/very high, according to a recently released Gallup survey. Nurses have claimed the top spot since 1999, the first year they were included in the survey, with the exception of 2001, when firefighters were voted No. 1 in the wake of the 9/11 terrorist attacks.” – nurse.org
The baccalaureate degree program in nursing at Schreiner University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.ccneaccreditation.org)
Prospective students may apply to the Schreiner Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program starting January 1st, 2020. Deadline for submission of application and other required paperwork to the Schreiner University BSN program is April 20th for consideration of admission in the Fall semester. Applicants may contact the office of the Nursing Department at 830-792-7481 if they require assistance.
The applicant must have all of the following paperwork submitted and an interview scheduled prior to the April 20th deadline to be eligible for admission:
- Completed NursingCAS application.
- Unless currently enrolled at Schreiner University, must submit a record of current acceptance. University application can be located at applyschreiner.force.com or contact the Admissions Office at 830-792-7271
- ATI TEAS scores (within the last six months before application deadline) minimum score of 75.
- Two letters of recommendation (not family members)
- Essay (500 words maximum) addressing why you want to be a nurse, what challenges you feel may interfere with your successful completion of the BSN program and if you feel you can overcome those challenges. List community service and your projected 5 year goals.
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate coursework completed. A minimum overall GPA of 3.0 in all prerequisite coursework, with a “B” or better for all math and science courses.
- Relevant professional, academic achievements, awarded certifications or healthcare experience may be submitted; however it is not required.
- Immunizations required include:
* MMR series of two immunizations, positive titer
* TDaP, must include Pertussis, within past 10 yr.
* Hepatitis B series of 3 immunizations, or titer
* Varicella series of 2 immunizations, positive titer, or DSHS History of Illness Form signed by parent or healthcare provider.
* Meningitis vaccine in accordance with Texas Law for new students less than 30 years of age.
*Find more details in the BSN Handbook
Fall 2020 Admission
- Application Deadline April 20, 2020
- Rolling Admission Process
Been Accepted? Here are your next steps…
- Complete all next steps required for a freshman or transfer
- Sign and return the acceptance form to the Nursing Department Office
- Sign up and complete the required Criminal Background Check and send approval documentation to the Nursing Department
Frequently Asked Questions
In 2017, Schreiner University had an 85.71% pass rate and in 2018, Schreiner University had a 94% pass rate.
YES! The BSN program at Schreiner University is approved by the Texas Board of Nursing and accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. We are a member of the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN).
In addition to the Schreiner Core class requirements, students are required to take:
- BIOL 2401/2402 – Anatomy/Physiology I/Lab and II/Lab
- CHEM 1301/1101 – General Chemistry or CHEM 1403
- ENGL 1301/1302 – English Composition I and II
- ENGL 3307 – Advanced Composition
- IDST 1301
- Elective in the Aesthetic Appreciation Category (3 hours)
- Global Perspective (6 Hours)
- MATH 1310 College Algebra or higher
- BIOL 3414 – Microbiology/Lab
- BIOL 2331 – Nutrition
- Philosophy/Religion (3 Hours)
- Engagement (3 Hours)
- PSYC 1301 – Introduction to Psychology
- PSYC 2300 – Child and Lifespan Development
- SOCI 1301 – Introduction to Sociology
- Communication – (6 hours)
- MATH 2330 – Statistics
- Analytical Abilities (6 hours)
- Personal/Social Responsibility (3 Hours)
The Schreiner University BSN program accepts 30 students into the program.
No. Schreiner University only accepts students for the fall semester.
We would be happy to answer any of your questions!
You will have the opportunity to experience campus on a tour led by a current student as well as meet with a faculty member and one of our admissions team members to talk about your application, scholarships and financial aid! Tours are available Monday through Friday at 10 AM, 1 PM, and 3 PM, and select Saturdays in the Spring.