SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Systems Librarian provides technical support and oversight of library systems and manages all computer technology services, including the Integrated Library System (ILS). This position reports to the Library Director and assists in coordinating the design, creation, and maintenance of the collections and resources in Logan Library as well as other digital initiatives. The Systems Librarian will work across Library departments to assess and develop appropriate standards, policies, and procedures for the Library’s digital projects and to ensure continued development and maintenance of the Library’s digital initiatives.
- Leads and supports all phases of systems-related projects including implementation, administration, configuration, and documentation within the various aspects and functions of the integrated library system.
- Serves as a key member of the University Library’s team to collaborate and work closely with campus Information Technology Services to ensure systems integrate seamlessly to support effective storage, retrieval, and access to library resources.
- Works with ILS and other library system and resource vendors in troubleshooting, developing new system capabilities, and advocating for improvements to ensure best practices and resource alignment.
- Engages as part of the University Library team on resource management, open-source initiatives and library integrative technologies.
- Leads the robust development, maintenance, and usability testing of the University Library’s web presence.
- Communicates and translates systems and technology concepts, issues, and opportunities within and among diverse academic communities, assuring a consistent and constantly improving library user experience.
- Shapes library’s technological future by exploring and advocating for user-centered library systems and applications that advance the mission of Schreiner University.
- Contributes research support for library collection analysis activities and assessments.
- Supports and enhances the ILS, including testing, customizing reports, training staff, and improving staff and user interfaces.
- Works closely with others within the library as well as colleagues in Information Technology Services (ITS) to maintain conformity and accessibility for the website. This individual will collect and assess data on the systems and web services in order to share usage data, identify key user experience issues, and work towards optimal usability and accessibility.
- Assists in providing overall technical support for the library for projects, systems, and services. Works in partnership with ITS to bring Schreiner University forward in the goal of being a leader in the use of technology.
- Provides reference desk consultations, e-mail, telephone and chat reference assistance.
- Provides library instruction in a variety of formats, including lectures to individual classes, computer database instruction, and tours; produces appropriate handouts, instruction guides, and/or Web pages.
- Participates in meetings and committee assignments in the library and campus-wide; assumes responsibility for collection development of assigned subject areas; adheres to the American Library Association’s Statement of Ethics.
- Supervises library paraprofessionals and work-study students as assigned.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- ALA-accredited master’s degree in library information science or equivalent degree at the time of application.
- Interest in implementing emerging or experimental technologies to enhance library services.
- One year minimum experience with library systems, including integrated library systems, institutional repository platforms, or other library-specific systems or software.
- Demonstrated ability to manage, implement, and assess projects.
- Experience with troubleshooting library-related systems technologies, including working with vendor support for third-party systems.
- Ability to communicate technical information to diverse audiences.
- Ability to thrive in a rapidly changing environment.
- Evidence of demonstrated ability to teach and work with persons from diverse backgrounds.
- 3-5 years of experience in system management experience with integrated library systems.
- Familiarity with coding languages and open-source software platforms.
- Experience with web design, maintenance, usability testing or user experience.
- Experience with content management systems, such as LibGuides, WordPress, and/or Drupal, and institutional repository platforms or software.
- Experience communicating and articulating analytical data, reporting, and assessment.
- Demonstrated ability to design and teach classes, workshops, or training as well as.
Submit application for employment using the apply button found on the job application page, cover letter and resume for each position you are interested in.