SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs moderately complex maintenance work and supervises assigned maintenance staff in scheduled maintenance, care and repair of varied campus facilities, equipment and furniture. Work involves skilled and semi-skilled carpentry tasks in the repair, alteration, and construction of wooden, metal, and masonry structures, and requisitioning materials and supplies for projects. Works under limited supervision with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
- Plan and schedule projects, estimate time and materials, supervise subordinates, maintain records and file and prepare reports.
- Prepare, schedule and supervise the work layout for the maintenance, alteration and repair of building structures and components.
- Performs carpentry work, installation, alteration, repair, and maintenance of buildings, doors, windows, walls, sheetrock, roofs, ceilings, flooring, carpet, fixtures, locks and furniture.
- Know fire and safety regulations and procedures.
- Keep records of carpenters’ time and materials used for each job.
- Supervise carpentry jobs requiring a high degree of skill.
- Provide assistance on complex jobs.
- Coordinates with other supervisors to ensure efficient use of labor and materials where several skilled crafts are involved in a maintenance and/or construction project.
- Provide estimates of personnel and material required for a job.
- Assign carpenters to jobs, oversee masonry work.
- Requisition materials from warehouse or purchases materials from suppliers.
- Inspect scaffolding and hazardous work to ensure proper safety measures are being observed.
- Make inspections of equipment, machinery, building accessories, and appliances to ensure proper maintenance and repair.
- Maintains a workshop for the repair, alteration, refinishing and construction of furniture, fixtures and other equipment.
- Keep records and compiles reports of work performed by carpentry crew.
- Evaluates staff in accordance with established policy
- Must be able to work overtime, some evenings, nights and weekends.
- Serves as a member of the Emergency Response Team.
- Assists in interviewing and hiring new staff.
- Perform related work as required.
- Maintains the highest level of confidence concerning all matters in the Facilities Services Office. Does not discuss in any manner any information obtained through work in the office.
- May inspect maintenance work performed by contractors to ensure contract compliance.
- May perform repair work on electrical, plumbing, HVAC.
- May do safety inspections and make ready road vehicles.
- May travel to pick up supplies and equipment and attend seminars.
- May do setups for and work special events.
- May assist grounds/utility crew.
- Must be able to perform on call duties.
- Perform related work as assigned.
- Experience in general construction, building repair, furniture construction, and finishes.
- Thorough knowledge of the common practices, tools, terminology and safety precautions of the carpentry trade.
- Thorough knowledge of the use and characteristics of common building materials.
- Skill in the use of carpentry tools and wood working equipment.
- Knowledge of varnish, paints, and paint preparation to include mixing paints and paint additives.
- Demonstrated use of industry standard equipment and painting techniques.
- Ability to prepare and work from sketches, drawings, plans or specifications
- Demonstrated use of mobile devices and desktop computers to receive work orders, campus communications, and maintain shop inventories and those of subordinates.
- Must have a valid Texas driver’s license, related insurance and good driving record.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to rig scaffolds and use ladders.
- Ability to plan and supervise the work of subordinates.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates
- Graduation from a standard senior high school or equivalent is generally preferred.
- Experience and education may be substituted for one another.
- Available if needed for on call emergency maintenance repairs
Submit application for employment using the apply button found on the job application page, cover letter and resume for each position you are interested in.