Website Schreiner University
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
A STEM professional academic tutor is primarily engaged in partnering with students to enhance their quantitative literacy, develop STEM specific problem-solving skills and gain confidence in their ability to excel in STEM disciplines. The STEM Professional Academic Tutor provides individual and small group academic tutoring to students in STEMℤONE.
- Provide patient, responsive academic tutoring in support of the quantitative literacy associated with science, technology, engineering and mathematics courses currently offered.
- Ask questions and actively listen to students, guiding them to discover possible pathways to solve problems, analyze complex concepts, consider processes to synthesis ideas and communicate an understanding of their own learning.
- Create print and online resource materials, activities, and workshop materials that reinforce and enhance quantitative literacy pertaining to STEM courses.
- Present “Just In Time” workshops to prepare students to engage with historically challenging content, particularly as it relates to quantitative literacy, in various STEM disciplines.
- Assist the STEM Academic Services Coordinator in fulfilling the everyday tasks of STEMℤONE.
- Utilize technology to include, but not limited to, PC-based programs such as tracking software, Microsoft Excel and Word, as well as instruments such as graphing calculators to support student learning, to monitor effectiveness of services, and to maintain accurate records.
- Communicate effectively with all STEMℤONE constituents and the broader Schreiner community.
- Exhibit excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to listen with empathy and respect, communicate clearly, and convey courtesy, patience, sincerity and a desire to help.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and faculty, characterized by cooperation, attention to detail, flexibility, reliability, efficiency and personal responsibility.
- Interact with diverse personalities, thoughts and populations with respect and sensitivity.
- Handle confidential information with tact and discretion.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Bachelor’s degree in a STEM related field, Master degree preferred.
- Experience preferred in Secondary or Higher Education, professional coaching, or professional tutoring.
- Experience using PC-based programs such as tracking software, Microsoft Excel and Word, as well as instruments such as graphing calculators
- Flexibility to work various shifts weekdays during the hours of 11:00 AM – 9:00 PM. Flexibility to work a 9-month time frame that may include the summer months.