Website Schreiner University
Schreiner University accepts employment applications on a continual basis for tutors to tutor courses which may arise in the future in the following programs. Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred.
Currently seeking tutors for the following areas: Humanities, Accounting, Quantitative Methods in Business, Biology, Cal I & II, Finite Math, C.I.T., A & P, and Chemistry.
- Exercise Science
- Interdisciplinary Studies (critical thinking, aesthetics, global issues)
- Information Systems
- Languages (French, German, Spanish)
- Political Science
- Monitor student progress.
- Give individual attention and show empathy and genuine concern in order
to build rapport and develop mutual respect.
- Assess needs and develop tutoring strategies that include technique.
appropriate for student’s learning style and preferred sensory input mode.
- Keep accurate attendance records and turn in weekly attendance reports
and time cards and other paperwork as requested.
- Attend tutor meetings and tutor training sessions.
- Communicate with LSS office staff about matters that need to be brought
to their attention.
- Break down complex concepts into simpler components, relate material to
different situations, give examples, help tutee think through procedures.
- Make learning subject matter interesting.
- Demonstrate flexibility and awareness of individual preferences in order to
match tutoring style to student’s needs.
- Listen to what students say without judgment or censure; be tolerant of
divergent beliefs and values.
- Support students in managing/organizing their time and space.
- Guide students in dealing with aspects of their college learning experience
such as lectures, textbooks, assignments, term papers, etc.
- Encourage students to set goals and be responsible for their education.
- Provide structure, encouragement, and hope in order to foster success.
- Be patient: ask questions in order to help students discover answers, wait
for students to work out solutions.
- Work with faculty by reinforcing and enhancing instructor’s material/methods.
- Offer suggestions for successful study habits.
- Encourage students to get clear on assignments with instructors.
- Discuss tutor and student expectations.
- Maintain student confidentiality.
- Other duties as requested from time to time by Learning Support Services
which may include note taking, test monitoring, and serving as a reader or
scribe for tests.
- Contribute to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Act to facilitate good communication between employees, clients, and
management through interpersonal and professional communication techniques.
- Maintain University safety rules.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Bachelor’s degree
- In-depth knowledge in subject area.
- Ability to work without supervision.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work as a team member toward the common goal of serving LSS students.
- Experience with Microsoft Windows based software, preferably with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook, and Microsoft Excel.
Part time, non-exempt staff positionSubmit application for employment using the apply button found on the job application page, cover letter and resume for each position you are interested in.