Website Schreiner University
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
Performs routine work in one or more maintenance and building construction trades. Work involves repairing and painting buildings, signs and handrails in both interior and exterior settings. Works under moderate supervision with limited use of initiative and independent judgment.
- Performs maintenance and repair work on masonry, wood, drywall, and metal in preparation for painting. This includes but not limited to installation, taping, floating and texturing sheetrock as well as cleaning, sanding, caulking, waterproofing, puttying, protecting and preparing in general surfaces for painting.
- Must be able to use ladders, assembly scaffolding, and use lifts in a safe manner.
- Understands and uses appropriate protective gear to include but not limited to eyewear, hearing protection, protective clothing and respirators.
- Maintains the University’s permanent and temporary signs.
- Paints using a variety of techniques to include but not limited to spray, roller and brush for both small and large surfaces.
- Takes care to protect flooring, trim work, doors, furniture and fixtures during all projects.
- Measures spaces, provides estimates of materials needed and recommends appropriate paint, stain or sealant for each project.
- Setups up appropriate ventilation for interior projects.
- Maintains a workshop for the repair and refinishing of signs, furniture and equipment.
- Maintains a clean, organized and safe workshop, office and assigned vehicle.
- Maintains all assigned equipment, tools, and supplies in full working order.
- Maintains a well-documented and organized paint and stain inventory and library for every building on campus.
- Must be able to work overtime, some evenings, nights and weekends.
- Must be able to perform on call duties.
- Maintains the highest level of confidence concerning all matters. Does not discuss in any manner any information obtained through work in the office.
- Setups and tear downs for special events as well as work some special events.
- Work with other trades as a helper.
- Ensure adherence to fire and safety regulations and procedures.
- Performs related work as assigned.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Experience in building repair and finishes.
- Skill in the use of tools and equipment.
- Graduation from a standard senior high school or equivalent is generally preferred.
- Experience and education may be substituted for one another.
- Knowledge of varnish, paints, and paint preparation to include mixing paints and paint additives.
- Demonstrated use of industry standard equipment and painting techniques.
- Ability to work from drawings of sketches and to follow instructions.
- Demonstrated use of mobile devices and desktop computers to receive work orders, campus communications, and maintain paint inventory and library.
- Must have a valid Texas driver’s license, related insurance and good driving record.