SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Head Cross-Country Coach must provide strategic leadership for the Cross-Country program while supporting the wider mission and goals of the University. The Coach is responsible for all aspects of coaching the team including recruiting, fitness training, practice, competition and travel. The Coach will advocate for the importance of a Cross-country team within the campus community, as well as the larger Kerrville community, and will serve as a role model of the high standards expected of our students. Recruit students, as well as cultivate friends of the various programs in an effort to meet enrollment and fundraising goals. Demonstrate and support a commitment and sensitivity to diversity, gender equity, and equal opportunity.
- Develop a program that will be highly competitive annually within the Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference.
- Ambitiously and successfully recruit and retain academically and athletically motivated student-athletes who will have a positive impact on the program and campus.
- Monitor and promote a highly successful academic atmosphere for student-athletes.
- Develop a culture of excellence where successful student-athletes will thrive and be engaged in the growth of the team and themselves.
- Plan and conduct team practices and workouts.
- Prepare (conference and non-conference) schedules for submission to Director of Athletics annually.
- Know and abide by the rules and policies of Schreiner University, SCAC, and NCAA.
- Work with athletics administration to manage all aspects of home contests, including coordination of facilities and officials.
- Make travel arrangements for road games and trips.
- Promote an atmosphere of academic excellence for student-athletes.
- Participate in conference meetings.
- Provide meet results and statistics to the SU Sports Information Director.
- Be responsible for the purchase, inventory and maintenance (and repair if necessary) of uniforms, supplies, and equipment.
- Be responsible for athletes’ conduct on trips.
- Nominate athletes for awards.
- Develop a positive relationship with and play an active role in university and community events and programs.
- Work collaboratively with Student Services and Residence Life staff with respect to student needs and any issues related to student behavior.
- Collaborate with Director in establishing a fundraising plan for that meets the department’s annual fundraising goals and aligns with the University’s overall fundraising strategy
- Manage funds by staying within an annual budget which includes equipment, travel, facility, training or related resource needs.
- Other duties as assigned from time to time by the Athletic Director and/or Dean of Students.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field preferred.
- Collegiate athletic experience preferred.
- Ability to relate to young adults.
- Ability to communicate effectively and work as University team member.
- Ability to travel overnight with team.
- Knows and abides by policies of Schreiner University, SCAC, NCAA.
- Ability to become certified in CPR, First Aid and AED (automatic external defibrillator)
- Valid Coaching license preferred.
- Must have a valid Texas driver’s license, related insurance, and good driving record.
- Obtaining a CDL Driver’s License will be required within six weeks of start date.