Website Schreiner University
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting to the Director of Athletics, the Golf Coach must provide strategic leadership for the Golf program while supporting the wider mission and goals of the University. The Coach is responsible for all aspects of coaching the team including recruiting, fitness training, practice, competition and travel. The Coach will advocate for the importance of a golf team within the campus community, as well as the larger Kerrville community, and will serve as a role model of the high standards expected of our students. A successful candidate will have experience recruiting students, as well as cultivating friends of the various programs in an effort to meet enrollment and fundraising goals. The successful candidate should demonstrate and support a commitment and sensitivity to diversity, gender equity, and equal opportunity.
- Develop a program that will be highly competitive annually within the Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference.
- Ambitiously and successfully recruit and retain academically and athletically motivated student-athletes who will have a positive impact on the program and campus.
- Monitor and promote a highly successful academic atmosphere for student-athletes.
- Develop a culture of excellence where successful student-athletes will thrive and be engaged in the growth of the team and themselves.
- Plan and conduct team practices and workouts for traditional and non-traditional seasons.
- Prepare (conference and non-conference) match schedules for submission to Director of Athletics annually.
- Know and abide by the rules and policies of Schreiner University, SCAC, and NCAA.
- Work with athletics administration to manage all aspects of home contests, including coordination of facilities and officials.
- Make travel arrangements for road games and trips. CDL License required.
- Promote an atmosphere of academic excellence for student-athletes.
- Participate in conference meetings.
- Provide match results and statistics to the Asst. Athletic Director in charge of sports information.
- Be responsible for the purchase, inventory and maintenance (and repair if necessary) of uniforms, supplies, and equipment.
- Be responsible for athletes’ conduct on trips.
- Recommend athletes for awards.
- Develop a positive relationship with and play an active role in university and community events and programs.
- Work collaboratively with Student Services and Residence Life staff with respect to student needs and any issues related to student behavior.
- Collaborate with Director in establishing a fundraising plan for that meets the department’s annual fundraising goals and aligns with the University’s overall fundraising strategy.
- Manage funds by staying within an annual budget which includes equipment, travel, facility, training or related resource needs.
- Other duties as assigned by the Athletic Director and/or Dean of Students
- Out of town overnight travel for inter-collegiate athletic contests, meetings, conferences and recruiting efforts using personal vehicle or company vehicle or rental.
- Weekend and holiday work schedule when necessary.
- Occasional overtime work required during season and post season play.
- 75% walking or standing
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Prior NCAA Division III coaching experience preferred
- Proficiency in scheduling games, practice and travel
- Proficiency in preparation of budgets
- Ability to relate to young adults
- Ability to communicate effectively and work as University team member
- Ability to travel overnight
- Know and abide by policies of Schreiner University, NCAA and the SCAC.
- Must have a valid Texas driver’s license, related insurance and good driving record. CDL Preferred