SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
Performs entry-level work in caring for grounds or public buildings.
- Maintain the appearance of grounds
- Mow and trim grass. Trim, water, remove and plant trees and shrubs. Control the advent of ant beds.
- Care for lawns, shrubbery, trees and flowerbeds using standard tools and equipment.
- Remove dirt, rubbish and refuse from grounds.
- Drive trucks and hauls materials, supplies, dirt and/or office furniture.
- Work special events, i.e. parking, loading, etc. – may include weekends and overtime.
- Maintain and care for grounds keeping tools, supplies and ground equipment.
- Perform various gardening activities.
- Work under close supervision with minimal latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
- May assist in plumbing, electrical, HVAC, auto repair and maintenance.
- May perform vehicle oil changes, lubes, inspections, cleaning and washing.
- Must be able to perform on call duties.
- May repair, stripe, and/or perform preventative maintenance on parking lots, roads and sidewalks within the grounds.
- May perform custodial work, assisting in cleaning buildings and moving furniture.
- Perform related work as assigned.
- Ability to lift 100 pounds and carry 70 pounds.
- Ability to work in inclement weather conditions, bend climb and lift 50 pounds plus.
- Must be able to work overtime, some evenings, nights and weekends.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Completion of high school is generally preferred. Experience and education may be substituted for one another.
- Experience in grounds keeping and maintenance work.
- Ability to perform on call duties.
- Knowledge of the planting and care of trees, shrubbery, flowers, and grass.
- Skill in the use of grounds keeping hand tools and equipment.
- Skill in the operation of motorized and gas operated equipment such as tractors, mowers, edgers, chain saws, hedge trimmers, self-propelled sweeper/vacuums, and paint striping machines.
- Skill in the repair and maintenance of parking lots.
- Ability to maintain and care for hand and power tools and equipment used in grounds keeping and gardening.
- Must have a valid Texas driver’s license, related insurance and good driving record.