SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Division of Engineering and Applied Sciences at Schreiner University in Kerrville, TX invites applications for an Engineering Laboratory Technician to begin January 2023. Schreiner University launched a new General Engineering program in Fall 2022 with tracks in Mechanical and Civil and is pursuing ABET accreditation. Construction of a new Schreiner Engineering lab space is underway at the Killdeer Mountain Manufacturing facility near the Kerrville Airport which will contain welders, CNC plasma cutter, concrete mixing, and soil testing equipment in addition to miscellaneous shop tools.
While construction is in progress, the technician will be a liaison with the general contractor to ensure the final space will suit the engineering program’s needs; however, the day to day work will primarily support the Schreiner Biology and Chemistry department through inventory, ordering, lab prep work, and supervising student lab workers.
In following years, once the engineering facility is complete, the technician will be primarily responsible for instructing engineering students on safe use of engineering equipment; preparing written procedures for using, maintaining, and upgrading tools and equipment; teaching engineering lab courses; maintaining and repairing equipment; monitoring inventory of consumables; supervising student workers; and providing technical assistance for student projects.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares, issues, and replaces laboratory equipment.
- Responds to technical questions, questions related to stock solutions, and use of equipment to staff and teaching assistants.
- Maintains supplies and equipment inventories; orders supplies and equipment for laboratory; keeps stockroom organized.
- Maintains teaching equipment and instruments to ensure accuracy and efficient performance.
- Serves as safety officer for teaching laboratory; stays in lab to oversee safety during scheduled teaching time.
- Plans support of laboratory experiments, ensuring adherence to protocols and safety regulations; assists in troubleshooting and correcting experimental errors.
- Develops quality standards and programs; maintains quality of stockroom, safety, and environmental regulations, and other applicable requirements.
- Maintains student breakage card records and submits list of charges and refunds each semester.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or a related field; at least 3 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified is preferred.
- Experience in the field may be substituted for education.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. In addition to the online application, applicants should submit 1. a cover letter addressing your interest in the position and including a description of your experience with shop or laboratory equipment, 2. resume, 3. the names, email addresses and telephone numbers of three references, These materials should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Schreiner University is a uniquely Texan, Hispanic-serving institution. We are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and are strongly and actively committed to diversity within our community.
Materials that cannot be submitted electronically may be mailed to:
2100 Memorial Blvd CMB 6233
Kerrville, Texas 78028
Position is open until filled.
To apply for this job please visit info.schreiner.edu.