SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
Performs entry-level custodial work. Work involves cleaning and caring for University buildings and premises, maintaining custodial equipment and requesting supplies. Works under close supervision with minimal latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
- Performs custodial functions such as sweeping, mopping, dusting and related duties.
- Performs rest room maintenance functions, replenishing supplies and applying cleaning chemical as appropriate.
- Performs carpet maintenance functions.
- Cleans office and classroom furniture, dorm furniture, walls, windows, floors and empties trash.
- Is responsible for the appearance of the outside of their building, i.e. picking up trash, emptying ash trays, emptying outside trash receptacles, and sweeping off sidewalks and steps.
- Use cleaning supplies and equipment to keep the interior of the office building looking clean and professional
- Respond to repair requests quickly and with a professional manner
- Maintain a library of user manuals for office furniture and fixtures that can be referred to when needed
- Adhere to the company’s safety policies to create a safe work environment for everyone
- Perform routine cleaning tasks based on a schedule created by the facility management team
- Must be able to work weekends and evenings when required to support University events and activities
- Must be able to work overtime and weekends when required to prepare buildings, residential halls and residential apartments for summer camps and students.
- Must be able to work overtime, evenings, or weekends in the event of a campus emergency.
- Must be able to perform on call duties.
- May inspect buildings for cleanliness and report needed repairs as appropriate.
- May change light bulbs or batteries as directed.
- May assist with the set up and tear down required for events
- Performs related work as assigned.
- Maintains the highest level of confidence concerning all matters in the Facilities Services Department. Does not discuss in any manner any information obtained through work in the office.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Experience in custodial work. Graduation from high school or equivalent is generally preferred. Experience and education may be substituted for one another.
- Knowledge of cleaning techniques and procedures.
- Skill in the use of custodial materials and chemicals, and in the operation of vacuum cleaners and related custodial equipment.
- Ability to understand and follow directions to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to perform on call duties.