Website Schreiner University
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Church Relations Specialist, under the guidance of the Campus Minister, acts as the university’s liaison with the governing bodies, officers and members of the Presbyterian Church (USA) with primary focus in the Synod of the Sun. The Specialist will also build relationships with “local” churches of other denominations. This position also manages the revision process to the covenant with the Presbyterian Church (USA) once every five (5) years and assures compliance with the covenant at all times.
Purpose Statement for Schreiner University Church Relations
The purpose of Church Relations is to develop and nurture the relationship between the university and Presbyterian Churches, clergy and their individual members, establishing and providing a resourceful partnership between the university and our church constituency. The office of Church Relations supports the integration of spiritual issues and ethical character formation into all aspects of campus life. Schreiner University seeks to identify, develop, maintain and share the gifts which God has given to its community members in their respective faiths.
- Participates in the responsibility for helping Schreiner University and the Presbyterian Church USA (Synod of the Sun) work together as partners in the mission of higher education.
- Shares with the Campus Minister and representatives of the Synod of the Sun the responsibility of acting as liaison officer with the governing bodies of the Presbyterian Church and revising and monitoring the Covenant between the Synod and the University.
- Develops relationships with presbytery staffs and Presbyterian congregations, especially in Texas.
- Maintains working relationships with Presbyterian Pan American School and the Presbyterian Children’s Homes and Services, including the selection of recipients of the PASA scholarship.
- Works closely with Campus Minister and the Christian Vocations Intern program.
- Provides leadership and staff support for the Church Relations Council.
- Provides counsel to the President and Cabinet regarding ways in which they can carry out their responsibilities in relation to the Church.
- Works closely with the Office of Enrollment Management to identify and recruit Presbyterian students to attend Schreiner and confirm their eligibility for the Presbyterian Heritage Grant.
- Promotes participation and seeks financial support (raises funds) from churches and individuals for the Pan American Schreiner Agreement, the Presbyterian Heritage Grant, and Campus Ministry.
- Works with the Kerrville Ministerial Alliance and pastors of local churches of non-Presbyterian denominations to recruit Christian students and build relationships for the benefit of our students of those faith traditions.
- Handles other duties as assigned by the President and Campus Minister
- Bachelor Degree (preferably MA or MDiv). Ordained status is desirable.
- Excellent verbal, visual and written communication skills.
- Active member of the Presbyterian Church, USA
- Must have a valid Texas driver’s license, related insurance and good driving record.
- Well organized, systematic thinker and effective listener, able to state beliefs clearly.
- Committed to the mission, vision and values of Schreiner University.
- Active participant in governing bodies of the Presbyterian Church, especially within Synod of the Sun.
- Experienced in a higher education environment, preferably with Presbyterian-related colleges.
- Familiar with the psychology, principles and techniques of major gift solicitation with a particular emphasis on churches and church members.
- Able to work with others in a diverse community, including work with Kerrville Ministerial Alliance.
- Aware of and communicates Schreiner University’s historic relationship to the Presbyterian Church.
- Knowledgeable about stewardship issues.
- Able to travel overnight with some frequency.
- Loyal team member, undertaking challenges and assignments for welfare of the university and the university community.