Note: The Assistant Director is comprised of three positions that function in the three main components of Auxiliary Services (Mail Center, Schreiner Outfitters and Event Services. It is not the expectation that one Assistant Director will focus on Event Services and another in the Mail Center and another in Schreiner Outfitters. All three Assistant Directors are expected to know, understand and will be trained on all three of the primary components of Auxiliary Services. Based on demand the primary daily function of each Assistant Director will be articulated by the Director on a regular basis.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Assistant Director is responsible for coordinating the timely and fiscally responsible administration, planning and program management of auxiliary enterprises that support the educational, social, recreational, and cultural interest of the University and meet student needs while generating revenue. This position will provide leadership and guidance for Event Services, Schreiner Outfitters, the Mail Center, Event Center, Weston Property, and vending contracts including Chartwells (Compass Group, USA) and the Trailhead Beer Garden (Pint and Plow – Kerrville, Texas). The Assistant Director will be responsible to meet quarterly revenue goals set forth by the annual operating budget and will work with the Director to market and confirm clients for event space rentals, summer camps, as well as in-store and on-line merchandise sales in Schreiner Outfitters. The position requires the direct supervision of student interns from the university as well as work-study students. The Assistant Director of Auxiliary Services assists in the planning and directing of all activities of the University’s Auxiliary Services components in an effort to support University revenue goals and meet the established Schreiner University Service Standards.
ESSENTIAL Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensures Auxiliary Services provides the highest quality service to students, faculty, staff, and external customers.
- Fiscal management and stewardship of Auxiliary Services enterprises to include goal setting and achievement strategies.
- Understands and operates on the functions of the assigned Auxiliary Services units:
- Events – facility management of all rental spaces on campus
- Schreiner Outfitters – retail management of goods
- Mail Center – processing of daily mail (in and out of university)
- Collaboratively, provide the support for an online presence of Schreiner Outfitters and Event Services through use of social media.
- Maintains accurate and detailed financial records on daily basis when operating in Schreiner Outfitters and Mail Center.
- Works with Director to seek opportunities for future initiatives and revenue development consistent with the University needs.
- Oversees recruitment, hiring, orientation, training and supervision of interns and student workers.
- Meets projected deadlines and manages multiple tasks.
- Provides top customer service to all our customers, including students, faculty and staff in mail center, Schreiner Outfitters, and when serving as manager on duty for events.
- Works with Director on the operation of Schreiner Outfitters, including purchasing supplies, collegiate wear, general merchandise, receiving and shipping, and return of overstocked or defective merchandise.
- Oversee maintenance of the campus stores, marketing, promotion, loyalty program, birthday program, displays, signage and inventory.
- Works with Director to manage the quarterly inventory, utilizing the POS system to check for theft and shrinkage.
- Provides assistance to Director for the annual planning and management of Auxiliary Services budgets – monitoring for profitability.
- Markets facilities to campus as well as to the external community.
- Managing, marketing, and promoting summer camps, conferences, special events and athletic concessions in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Knowledge of word processing, database, and spreadsheet software.
- Facilitates and maintains positive and collaborative communication between Auxiliary Services and internal and external departments, agencies, office, and organizations.
- Centrally maintains schedule of all campus spaces including fields, meeting rooms, dining rooms, classrooms and outdoor areas using the university’s campus scheduling software (Astra).
- Ensures inspection, inventory, maintenance, repair, refurbishment and replacement of all assigned furnishings and equipment.
- Evaluates operational procedures/policies and develops and implements new strategies for designated area.
- Works with Director to build and enhance business relationships in the community, and represents the University at local, regional, and national events.
- Serves on appointed University committees, providing expertise and insight for university initiatives.
- Collaborates with Campus Operations regarding facility improvements, renovations, and routine maintenance. Fosters cooperative work environment.
- Will dress appropriately when job expectations are required (during events as manager on duty, for sales in Schreiner Outfitters, and to ensure safety standards are met when processing goods, packages, mail).
- Work with Director on oversight of contracted food and beverage services including concessionaires.
- Maintains the use and operation of audio and visual equipment in ballrooms and other event spaces on campus.
- Ensures the Schreiner University Service Standards are met at all times in each essential function of the Auxiliary Services components.
- Represents the University with community service groups and various professional associations.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Act as liaison to departments, campus administration and outside agencies.
- Maintains University safety rules.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration or related field preferred.
- Four years progressively responsible, professional experience related to area of assignment, including two years of lead or supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and ability.
- Ability to clearly communicate verbally and in written form.
- Professional demeanor on phone, ability to politely manage a variety of customers.
- Ability to learn quickly and with minimal guidance.
- Must have a valid Texas driver’s license, related insurance, and good driving record.
- Convey information clearly and accurately.
- Strong computer skills.
- Open to a variety of people/experiences.
- Ability to work nights and weekends.
- Can think critically and solve problems efficiently.
- Understands the importance of “a polished product”