Online Alternative Teacher Certification
It is always a good time to enter the field of education! Graduate with an advanced degree and certification in just 3 semesters through our fully online program. APPLY TODAY for our Online Master of Education with Teacher Certification program! Contact Magda Riveros in Graduate Admissions at (800)343-4919 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
to the admission requirements for the Online Master of Education Program:
- Pass the PACT exam in a content/field area of certification*
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale in major/field
- Complete an interview and create a Plan for Certification with the Director of Graduate Education, Dr. Neva Cramer
*NOTE: Contact Dr. Neva Cramer for questions about certification BEFORE registering for a state exam
Dr. Neva Cramer
Requirements for Teacher Certification
- Must be approved for application to the Professions in Education Teacher Certification Program by the Teacher Education Committee which includes three recommendations, teaching philosophy, testing requirement contract, Code of Ethics agreement, and a formal interview with the Director of Education
- Successful completion of the state TExES exam in content field and the TExES Pedagogy and Professional Responsibilities (PPR) exam
- Successful completion of 30 outside hours of field based experience
- Successful completion of the clinical teaching seminars and/or state required trainings
- Successful completion of 14 weeks of graduate clinical teaching (EDUC 5601) or the completion of the probationary certification internship (EDUC 5307 & EDUC 5308).
Benefits of choosing Schreiner University
In today’s economy, Schreiner University education students have an edge on the competition:
- Alternative Certification Candidates leave with a graduate degree in education along with certification! You don’t need extra undergraduate hours. You are a career changer who wants to be a professional in education with an evolving career.
- Courses include preparation in Texas teaching competencies and college and career readiness standards and research-based strategies for creating a challenging and motivating learning environment designed for success in the 21st century.
- Certification students receive all required TEA state trainings for educators.
- All certification students have the option of completing a clinical teaching internship with a mentor OR working as a teacher of record under probationary certification. You leave this program fully certified!
- All certification students leave with the qualifications to teach in public or private K-12 schools, to teach or coach as an instructor in a college or university, and to take on a leadership role in education including Athletic Director or Asst. Principal of Instruction.
Tuition and Fees
Schreiner University is committed to providing an affordable Masters in Education degree. If you are employed with one of our Premier Partner employers, you are eligible for our Premier scholarship. This helps reduce the average cost of the MEd program, making the full tuition for the MEd courses only $9,000! Also, the Teacher Certification with the Premier scholarship is only an additional tuition cost of $1,500! Find the rest of the tuition and fees for 2017-2018 here.
(in addition to the 36 MEd credit hours)
- Internship/Clinical Teaching - 6 hours
- EDUC 5307 Internship I: Graduate Teacher Certification (for probationary certification)
- EDUC 5308 Internship II: Graduate Teacher Certification (for probationary certification)
- EDUC 5601 Internship: Graduate Clinical Teaching
You can complete the 6 hours of clinical teaching along with your final semester of the MEd program, or you can take it separately in the semester following your completion of the MEd.
For further questions or to set up an interview for Teacher Certification contact:
Neva Cramer. Ph.D.
Director of Education and Graduate Studies
2100 Memorial Blvd., Alumni House
Kerrville, TX 78028
» Overview of Online Programs