Online Principal Certification - How To Become A Principal through the Schreiner University Professional Certification Program
There are 2 ways to become a principal in Texas through the Schreiner 100% Online Program:
You can complete the Schreiner University Online Master of Education, and then apply to our Principal Certification program
If you already hold a master’s degree, you can complete your Principal Certification degree by itself in just one semester!
The Principal Certification program consists of 12 hours of coursework plus a 6 hour internship which includes the TEA required 160 hour practicum aligned with principal standards.
Courses - 12 credit hours + 6 hours of internship*
EDUC 6301 School Law
EDUC 6303 Human Resources, Public School Policy, and Administrative Procedures
EDUC 6312 Educational Leadership for School Effectiveness and Learning Performance
EDUC 6305 Instructional Leadership
EDUC 6604 Administrator Internship* and Certification Preparation
EDUC 6310 Principal Test Preparation (Optional)
The Principal Certification program is one semester, online only, with options to start in the Fall or Spring (no summer term available). Due to TEA regulations, we are unable to admit students that do not have a Texas teaching certification and/or reside in Texas. DOD schools overseas can be considered. Contact the Admission Office for more information.
* The Principal Certification Program consists of 12 hours of coursework plus a 6 hour internship which includes the TEA required 160 hour practicum aligned with principal standards. The internship will be divided into:
Practicum I = 80 hours of standards aligned performance based activities under the guidance of a principal mentor and university field supervisor, including required 45 minute observations.
Note: Before proceeding to Practicum II, interns must also successfully complete a practice principal exam and successfully complete the TExES state principal exam.
Practicum II = Final 80 hours of standards aligned performance based activities under the guidance of a principal mentor and university field supervisor, including required 45 minute observations
Principal Certification AND Master of Education:
- Hold a valid Texas Teacher Certificate
- Complete two years of verified teaching experience in an accredited Pre K-12 school (prior to certification)
Principal Certification ONLY:
- Hold a Master of Education or other education related master’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Have earned a 3.5 GPA or above in master's level degree
- Hold a current and valid Texas teaching certification
- Provide proof of all years of teaching experience (2 years minimum experience required)
Online application with $25 application fee
Please select “Graduate” as the type of student, and “Principal Certification” as your program/major.
- Official transcripts from the college(s) granting your undergraduate and graduate degrees. All transfer information must be listed on the official transcripts. Certified electronic transcripts can be sent from your college to email@example.com or official transcripts should be mailed to:
Office of Admission
2100 Memorial Blvd
Kerrville, TX 78028
- In-person or phone interview (can be scheduled directly with Dr. Neva Cramer at NVCramer@schreiner.edu)
- Proof of Texas Teaching Certification
- Proof of all years of teaching experience (have your HR/Administration to email this information to firstname.lastname@example.org)
Tuition and Fees
Schreiner University is committed to providing an affordable Masters in Education degree. If you are employed with one of our Premier Partner employers, you are eligible for our Premier scholarship for the MEd courses. This makes the full tuition for the MEd courses only $9,000! The Principal Certification semester does not qualify for any additional Premier scholarship, and is an additional $10,278 in tuition. You can review the full list of tuition and fees for 2017-2018 here.
Schreiner University Department of Education
Graduate Admissions Counselor
» Overview of Online Programs