Online principal certification - how to become a principal
How can you compete as a professional educator in a difficult economy? At a time when educators face rigorous competition for leadership positions in the teaching and administrative field, Schreiner University Teacher Education offers a SACSCOC approved 100% online Principal Certification Program. Be prepared to advance in education by completing your principal certification in less than one year!
The Principal Certification Program consists of 15 hours of coursework plus a 3 hour internship which includes the TEA required 160 hour practicum aligned with principal standards.
The internship will be divided into:
Practicum I = 80 hours of standards aligned performance based activities under the guidance of a principal mentor and university field supervisor, including required 45 minute observations.
Note: Before proceeding to Practicum II, interns must also successfully complete a practice principal exam and successfully complete the TExES state principal exam.
Practicum II = Final 80 hours of standards aligned performance based activities under the guidance of a principal mentor and university field supervisor, including required 45 minute observations.
Courses - 15 hours + 3 hours of internship
EDUC 6301 School Law
EDUC 6303 Human Resources, Public School Policy, and Administrative Procedures
EDUC 6312 Educational Leadership for School Effectiveness and Learning Performance
EDUC 6304 Administrator Internship and Certification Preparation
EDUC 6305 Instructional Leadership
Applicants for Principal Certification must:
- Hold a Master of Education or other education related master’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Have earned a 3.5 GPA or above within their master's degree
- Hold a current and valid Texas teaching certification
- Provide proof of all years of teaching experience (2 years minimum experience required)
Online application with $25 application fee
Please select “Graduate” as the type of student, and “Principal Certification” as your program/major.
- Official transcripts from the college(s) granting your undergraduate and graduate degrees. All transfer information must be listed on the official transcripts. Certified electronic transcripts can be sent from your college to email@example.com or official transcripts should be mailed to:
Office of Admission
2100 Memorial Blvd
Kerrville, TX 78028
- In-person or phone interview (can be scheduled directly with Dr. Neva Cramer at NVCramer@schreiner.edu)
- Proof of Texas Teaching Certification
- Proof of all years of teaching experience (have your HR/Administration to email this information to firstname.lastname@example.org)
• The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
• Texas Education Agency (TEA)
• State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC)
"A friend and fellow alumni recommended the Master of Education program at Schreiner University to me and I am thrilled with the results! The professors are on the cutting edge of 21st century educational pedagogy. The knowledge and skills we learned in the program were relevant, meaningful, and easily applicable to my campus work as an academic dean. The hands-on collaborative work done in and out of class and the collegial relationships built during the program helped me bring back revolutionary ideas for learning, teaching and leading today’s, and most importantly, tomorrow’s classrooms. Thanks to the Schreiner program, I feel a sense of purpose and direction, but most importantly confidence in taking a leadership role in perfecting our educational system." —Lisa Gonzalez
"I have been in education for most of my professional career. With the help of the professors at Schreiner University, working in cohort-style classes, I obtained my Master of Education Degree, as well as my principal certification. My parents were not college-educated, but always taught their children to work to attain something better in life. Earning a master’s degree was not only important for me, but also for my family. As a Hispanic rising in the field of education, it was essential to have the opportunity and support to achieve my goals for career success. Schreiner University not only provided the opportunity and support but also the flexibility to fulfill personal duties, such as family, church and other personal obligations. I am now pursuing a Ph.D. at Our Lady of the Lake University in San Antonio continuing the career advancement path which Schreiner encouraged. I cannot thank Schreiner University enough ... especially the innovative education department professors for their influence and encouragement to always pursue my goals and to never forget to lead by example in any capacity in which I may serve. Schreiner is, indeed, “el aprendizaje del corazón, (the learning of the heart).” —Marcus Tinajero, M.Ed.
For details on all classes and programs, please go to
Schreiner University is a wired and WiFi campus, fully supporting all graduate studies programs.